Injured Firefighters, Frozen Hydrants, Frozen Truck Spurred By Careless Smoker
Manchester firefighters battled extreme cold as they responded to a house fire in Manchester’s north end on Liberty Street.
Manchester Fire and AMR ambulance responded to a report of a fire on the second-floor porch of 26 Liberty Street. When they arrived they had fire extending up the porches to the attic of the structure.
Fire crews arrived hooked up to several hydrants that were not functioning, and also began experiencing mechanical issues with equipment due to the extreme cold temperatures.
Battalion Chief Robert Beaudet requested a second alarm bringing additional personnel and apparatus. A notification was also transmitted for all off-duty personnel to respond to the fire or to stations for coverage. Several towns and cities in Southern New Hampshire responded for mutual aid bringing additional resources and station coverage.
One firefighter suffered frostbite and another required medical attention for injuries sustained in a fall on the icy roadway according to Manchester Fire.
The first and second floors sustained smoke and water damage and the third floor sustained heavy fire damage. Six occupants were displaced by this fire and have been connected with the Red Cross.
This fire was caused by careless disposal of smoking materials and is classified as accidental according to Battalion Chief Beaudet.
Beaudet said the temperature at the time of the fire was -14 degrees, -35 wind-chill with high winds. Numerous automobiles running over and damaging large-diameter supply lines to fire engines hampered the efforts of crews.
Manchester Fire Truck 6 remained at the scene Saturday morning extended in the air and unable to be lowered due to mechanical issues caused by the cold. Ice surrounded the truck and could be seen hanging from the truck showing the extreme issues firefighters faced.
©Jeffrey Hastings www.frameofmindphoto.com/news