top of page
Skinny AMR.png
AD - Deep Discount Oil V2.png
  • Writer's pictureJeffrey Hastings

Improper Disposal Of Smoking Materials Caused Two Manchester Building Fires Monday

Manchester, NH - The 3-alarm fire at 103 Brook Street Monday was caused by improper disposal of smoking materials and was classified as accidental.

Manchester Fire dispatch received several calls for a building fire at 103 Brook Street Monday at about 4:05 p.m.

Crews arrived to fire coming from the rear porch that was quickly spreading up the 3-story multi-unit building. Crews made entry into the building to check for occupants and stretched hose lines inside and set up ladder trucks.

A second alarm was requested as the fire continued to quickly spread to the attic and roof of the building. Once firefighters confirmed all people were out of the building, command ordered all fire personnel out of the building due to heavy fire and parts of the structure collapsing.

A 3rd alarm was requested bringing all off-duty Manchester firefighters and several surrounding cities and towns to the city for station coverage.

Firefighters used master streams of water shot on the building from ladder trucks to attempt to extinguish the fire and protect adjacent structures.

AMR ambulance had several crews at the scene evaluating firefighters, and providing hydration to the crews that worked to fight heavy fire throughout the building.

District Chief Jonathan Star said that there were five different apartments and nine people with their pets were displaced from the fire building. The fire was contained to the third floor and attic while smoke and water damage affected the first and second floors of the five-unit structure.

The fire was brought under control at about 6:00 p.m., and at least one firefighter had injuries to his hand.

Resources that responded to the scene included - E5, E11, E10, E2, E4, E6, E7, E8, E9, T1, T6, T7, R1, BFD T-21, MFD Car 1, MFD Chief Cashin, MFD Deputy Chief Fleury, MFD K1 and K4. Also AMR ALS3, PIC1

Monday the building was boarded up to prevent access and the heavy structural damage could be seen looking down on the structure. A man at the scene said that many people were taken into their homes the night of the fire so the residents had a place to stay.

While crews were at the scene of the Brook Street fire several mutual aid towns responded to a fire under the Queen City Bridge.

Manchester also responded to a building fire on Stone Lane caused by improper disposal of smoking material Monday, and a garage fire on Lake Ave Monday as well as a potential water rescue using boats Monday afternoon.

©Jeffrey Hastings


Red Oak Logo_full.png
bottom of page