top of page
Skinny AMR.png
AD - Deep Discount Oil V2.png
  • Writer's pictureJeffrey Hastings

Illegal Bedrooms, No Smoke Detectors, 5 Firefighters Injured In Pearl Street Fire

MANCHESTER, NH - Manchester Fire Department received several reports of a building fire at 317 and 319 Pearl Street in Manchester on Friday.

The first arriving units reported heavy fire, and smoke, and reports from bystanders that numerous kids were still in the building on the upper floors.

Fire crews immediately made entry to the building to search for occupants and begin to suppress the fire.

A second alarm was requested bringing additional personnel and apparatus to the scene and mutual aid towns and cities to provide station coverage.

The residence appears to be a two-unit duplex that contains three illegal bedrooms including one in the two different basements according to Battalion Chief Robert Beaudet.

Battalion Chief Beudet said there were no working smoke detectors on either side of the duplex.

Manchester Fire said the fire appears to have started in the attic of 317 Pearl Street. The majority of the fire damage was contained to the third floor and attic/storage spaces on both sides of the duplex.

Heavy water damage was sustained to all levels on both sides of the duplex. A total of 10 residents lived in the building. 5 of the 6 cats and one large lizard were located by search crews and safely returned to their owners.

Firefighters successfully protected adjacent buildings which were in very close proximity.

The fire is under investigation by the Manchester Fire Marshals Office, there is no information on the source or origin at this time but appears to be accidental in nature.

Three firefighters suffered minor burn injuries, and 2 Firefighters had minor injuries while performing ladder operations.

Battalion Chief Beaudet said heavy smoke, high heat, limited visibility within the fire building, and limited access to illegal apartments all presented challenges to fire crews.

There were no residents transported from the scene by EMS, and AMR Ambulance remained at the scene until the fire was extinguished.

©Jeffrey Hastings


Red Oak Logo_full.png
bottom of page