top of page
Skinny AMR.png
AD - Deep Discount Oil V2.png
  • Writer's pictureJeffrey Hastings

Epsom Man Arrested After Manchester Crash While Fleeing From Bedford Police

BEDFORD, NH — Bedford police responded to a call that a vehicle struck the Lowes building at 222 South River Road on Thursday and drove away from the scene. The Assistant Manager was on the phone with 911 and gave a description of a 2013 Chevy Tahoe with an NH vanity plate.

A Bedford police officer witnessed the vehicle leaving Lowes at about 9:25 p.m. and turning south on South River Rd. The vehicle drove into the oncoming lane of traffic, over a curb, and almost struck a traffic post. The officer activated her blue lights and siren in an attempt to have the vehicle pull over.

After the vehicle struck the sidewalk several times, it appeared to come to a stop. Officers approached the vehicle that was running, and in neutral and asked the driver to shut off the ignition. After refusing the commands of the officers, the driver put the vehicle in drive and proceeded south on South River Rd.

Merrimack Police were notified and took over the pursuit as it entered their town. The vehicle continued to refuse to stop, turned, and headed back to Bedford. Bedford Police and New Hampshire State Police attempted to stop the vehicle and again the vehicle turned south and went into Merrimack.

The vehicle returned to Bedford a third time and drove down Backriver Road, and onto South River Rd towards Manchester at a high rate of speed according to court paperwork. The pursuit was terminated at the Manchester city line.

The vehicle and driver were later located on Second Street in Manchester, where it had crashed into a fence and three parked cars. The operator, later identified as Christopher Hayward, 43, of Epsom.

Hayward was detained by Manchester police and transported to an area hospital by AMR ambulance for treatment of an unrelated medical emergency. He was given a summons by Manchester Police for DUI Impairment and released to Bedford Police and was transported to Bedford for booking.

Bedford Police say Hayward is accused of reckless conduct with a deadly weapon, disobeying an officer, conduct after an accident, resisting arrest, and reckless operation.

Hayward was arraigned in Hillsborough County Superior Court North Friday and was released on PR bail. As conditions of his bail, the defendant must report for a substance use disorder assessment within 24 hours and follow all recommendations.

Bedford Police Chief Bryfonski thanked the Merrimack Police Department, Manchester Police Department, and the New Hampshire State Police for their assistance during this incident.

©Jeffrey Hastings


Red Oak Logo_full.png
bottom of page