Skinny AMR.png
CERBERUS Slide Logo.png
  • Jeffrey Hastings

Firefighters Respond To Two Fires Within Hours Of Each Other

MANCHESTER, NH - Manchester firefighters responded to two fires in the city’s north-end within hours of each other.


Firefighters responded to 96 River Road Saturday for a report of a car fire in a garage located under a large five-story apartment building Saturday.


The first crews arrived at about 9:25 p,m. and confirmed the report and stretched a line to extinguish the fire. The five-story building was evacuated and the sprinkler system in the garage had been activated


The fire was quickly knocked down and a disoriented resident needed to be escorted from the smoke-filled garage. Smoke from the fire filled a stairwell and multiple hallways which needed to be ventilated.


Two residents sustained slip and fall injuries from the icy conditions outside the building, one was transported to Catholic Medical Center with a head injury according to MFD District Chief Jonathan Starr.


Residents were allowed to return to their apartments later in the evening. The cause of the fire was accidental. Damage was limited to the vehicle itself.


Sunday Manchester Fire and AMR ambulance were dispatched to a report of a porch fire in the rear of 1064 Union Street at about 4:12 a.m.


Firefighters arrived at a 2-story, single-family residence with a porch on fire. Firefighters from Engine 5 stretched a hose line and began to knock down the fire on the exterior.


Engine 5’s crew entered the house through the walkout basement and extinguished the heavy fire in said basement.


Subsequent arriving companies stretched lines to the first and second floors, extinguishing pockets of fire in the walls.


Due to weather and extensive overhaul, a second alarm was struck. The fire was brought under control at 4:50 a.m.


Manchester District Chief Jonathan Starr said the resident of the home had been alerted by the home’s smoke detectors and had exited the dwelling before fire personnel’s arrival.


A pet dog and cat perished in the blaze. The house is not habitable.


The cause of the incident and damage estimates have yet to be determined.




2 views
Red Oak Logo_full.png
3.png